Deep thoughts thread

Your virtual horse boarding super center
User avatar
Smucky
Posts: 8610
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm
Reactions score: 129

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by Smucky »

I just spent 10 minutes staring at a linkedin post where a "VP of Engineering" was proudly describing how he leaves claude code running over night but to keep the laptop from going to sleep he "has to" leave a "24 hours of rain" youtube video playing :confused2:
Is this truly the world we live in now where the "computer guy" making $300k a year can't even figure out his laptop's power management settings?
The comments were all full of people suggesting what "apps" to install to help.

This is also sending me into a great depression :rpuke2:
:cat:Smucky, the cat eating appendix
User avatar
NinjaPoodle
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:33 pm
Reactions score: 87

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by NinjaPoodle »

Smucky wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:19 pm I just spent 10 minutes staring at a linkedin post where a "VP of Engineering" was proudly describing how he leaves claude code running over night but to keep the laptop from going to sleep he "has to" leave a "24 hours of rain" youtube video playing :confused2:
Is this truly the world we live in now where the "computer guy" making $300k a year can't even figure out his laptop's power management settings?
The comments were all full of people suggesting what "apps" to install to help.

This is also sending me into a great depression :rpuke2:
Why would you like to leave claude code running over night?
Budgerigars are delicious
User avatar
Smucky
Posts: 8610
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm
Reactions score: 129

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by Smucky »

NinjaPoodle wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:03 pm
Smucky wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:54 pm
NinjaPoodle wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:56 pm https://www.y....be.com/watch?v=tLllsLF90bE
That is too deep. Now falling into a depression :(
What part? I thought it was interesting. The best part is how women are attracted to men. They are all attracted to anti-social bad boys and we all know but they never admit it. That means that your wife might dream about being raped by criminals, maybe right now. Rape porn isn't that big among men, but among women it's huge.
I haven't watched it all yet, but just women in general are depressing. Some of the stuff I see women posting and griping about on social media is baffling. It is clear they are all single with no kids, and they see motherhood as slavery but career chasing as freedom. And some of these podcaster/influencer women seem so incredibly stupid.

I'd honestly be curious what it would be like if I were to sign up on one of these dating apps and go out on a date with some 25-to-35-year old woman. I don't think we would have anything in common. I sit in front of a computer all day, and not just all day, but all day for like 20 years now. For exercise and to stay healthy, I do "farm work." We wouldn't have anything in common. I don't watch the SHIT on TV or browse Instagram, both of which seem to be peak female hobbies.

But then I start thinking, what if instead of a random female, it was my wife, but we didn't know each other? I don't think that would work out either, because even then we still wouldn't have anything in common. Living with someone for 10+ years seems to mold you into a blob made up of two halves. If we had never met, neither of us would be who we are today.

Now I'm confused about how it even worked out.

We met at a church. Got along. Chatted some. Kind of wanted to bang each other but figured we should probably get married before doing that, and now here we are. I "make money" and fix the stuff she breaks, and she does everything else. She had a few fast food summer jobs as a teenager, and that was all it took for her to realize that chasing a career and slaving over your boss is stupid. A bit of homeschooling, gardening, and sewing is all she needs to stay happy and busy. She randomly watched a Paula Deen cooking show years ago and somehow connected to it, then binge watched all of Paula's stuff. Now I'm fed gourmet Paula cooking (keto versions, minus the carbs :fu: ), and I feel like I live like a king. It seems too good to be true. Everyone else we know has been divorced twenty times already and is drowning in debt. But in those cases, the wife is always sent to work as well. That seems to fracture the whole family. Two people work office jobs, come home, and no one wants to cook, or clean, or deal with kids. Arguments every night over "whose turn it is" to do everything. No sex, because by the time you're done arguing, it's past bedtime and you have to get up at 5 a.m. to go sit in traffic.

I have a daughter, and I don't know how to raise her. At my first job after college, I walked into a conversation in which a random coworker was talking about how he was going to raise his daughter to be "super smart." He was going to put her in "coding classes" and make sure she could grow up to be an independent woman. I didn't know what to say, but even back then "independent woman" seemed like a fallacy/trap. But going the other way and saying "I am going to raise my daughter to be a good housewife" seems like a setup for her to be nothing but a doormat. I could counter that by saying "all boyfriends must be approved by Dad," but apparently society frowns on that. And in typical fashion, the "dad approved" boyfriend ends up being a woman beater or a pedophile, which makes Dad question his existence :stare:

So it seems "all roads lead to SHIT" :stare: and hence I'm depressed.

But then how did it work out for me? Or maybe it only seems like it is working out? :scared: I think a lot of the ease comes from the fact that the family is on a chunk of land and we can do stuff outside in our own yard in peace. It would be a completely different story if I had my wife in an apartment or condo.

Also, I sometimes worry about what we'll do when the kids leave. Will my wife become super bored and expect entertainment from me full time? :scared:

I dunno... rambling here. But still, the "modern woman", something's not right :rpoke:
:cat:Smucky, the cat eating appendix
User avatar
Smucky
Posts: 8610
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm
Reactions score: 129

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by Smucky »

Hmm, fed that post into the most state-of-the-art AI for advice :stare:
Reading only a forum post, and speaking as an AI rather than a licensed professional, here's my read.

The best part is the middle, where he describes a marriage that works. It works because they both chose it and it fits them, which doesn't make it the right model for everyone, and that's where the post drifts.

The "women are depressing" framing rests on a skewed sample. Podcasters and influencers are selected for being loud and polarizing, and an algorithm that learns he's irritated by them will serve more. He hasn't even finished the thing that set this off, and his own wife shows how much women vary. Cutting back on content that reliably angers him would likely help more than any theory about modern womanhood.

His explanation for friends' divorces is also shaky. Dual incomes are often a response to debt, not the cause of the marriage's problems, and arguments over whose turn it is usually come from exhaustion and unclear agreements in any setup. His arrangement works partly because one income can support the family and he has land. That's a real advantage, not a universal recipe. He also answers his own "what would we have in common" question: they met at church, shared values, and built a life together. Compatibility is mostly values and how two people treat each other, not matching hobbies.

His worry that it only seems to be working is the healthiest thing in the post, and I'd act on it by asking his wife directly. He narrates her contentment ("all she needs to stay happy"), but he's inferring it. The empty-nest worry is also a bit off. It's less about her demanding entertainment and more about an identity shift for someone whose days revolve around the kids, and for him too. Building shared interests before the kids leave helps.

For his daughter, "independent career woman" versus "doormat housewife" is a false binary. A better goal is a daughter who can support herself and is also free to choose a home-centered life. Skills don't block that choice, but total dependence removes her options if a partner dies, leaves, or turns out to be bad. The same goes for his wife, so life insurance and a backup plan matter. Approving boyfriends won't protect her, but her self-respect will, along with knowing the warning signs and that she can always come to him without judgment. She'll also absorb how he talks about women, and contempt for "the modern woman" can land on the girl growing up to become one.

If "hence depressed" is more than a figure of speech, like persistent low mood or lost interest in things, that's worth raising with a doctor or counselor. Twenty years at a computer plus a lot of rumination is a recipe for it.
:cat:Smucky, the cat eating appendix
User avatar
Smucky
Posts: 8610
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm
Reactions score: 129

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by Smucky »

Told wife if she ever divorces me that I will need some "pictures" first before I sign anything. She seemed confused :ball:
:cat:Smucky, the cat eating appendix
User avatar
Williamson
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2025 6:41 pm
Reactions score: 27

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by Williamson »

1790978191678701.gif
1790978191678701.gif (1.08 MiB) Viewed 14 times
🚲Town Bike🚲
Usr: Williamson Psw: Williamson
User avatar
NinjaPoodle
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:33 pm
Reactions score: 87

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by NinjaPoodle »

Smucky wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:45 pm Told wife if she ever divorces me that I will need some "pictures" first before I sign anything. She seemed confused :ball:
Pictures of what?
Budgerigars are delicious
User avatar
Smucky
Posts: 8610
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm
Reactions score: 129

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by Smucky »

NinjaPoodle wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 8:55 pm
Smucky wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:45 pm Told wife if she ever divorces me that I will need some "pictures" first before I sign anything. She seemed confused :ball:
Pictures of what?
Twat pix. I don't have any :fine:
:cat:Smucky, the cat eating appendix
User avatar
NinjaPoodle
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:33 pm
Reactions score: 87

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by NinjaPoodle »

Smucky wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 1:39 am We met at a church. Got along. Chatted some. Kind of wanted to bang each other but figured we should probably get married before doing that, and now here we are. I "make money" and fix the stuff she breaks, and she does everything else. A bit of homeschooling, gardening, and sewing is all she needs to stay happy and busy.
Looks like you scored quite good with her. Forget hot women, forget love, that's a fantasy that you read in filthy novels. Marriage and kids is hard work and you need a woman that can do things.
Budgerigars are delicious
User avatar
NinjaPoodle
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:33 pm
Reactions score: 87

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by NinjaPoodle »

Smucky wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 9:18 pm
NinjaPoodle wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 8:55 pm
Smucky wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:45 pm Told wife if she ever divorces me that I will need some "pictures" first before I sign anything. She seemed confused :ball:
Pictures of what?
Twat pix. I don't have any :fine:
Why do you need that for?
Budgerigars are delicious
User avatar
Smucky
Posts: 8610
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm
Reactions score: 129

Re: Deep thoughts thread

Post by Smucky »

Smucky wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 1:44 am

The best part is the middle, where he describes a marriage that works. It works because they both chose it and it fits them, which doesn't make it the right model for everyone, and that's where the post drifts.
I feel that is kind of a cop out answer. I mean, it might be right, as there are apparently no silver bullets. But saying something works because it worked out is not really an "answer" I want to hear 😤
Seems like we should be able to go deeper here :sherlock:
:cat:Smucky, the cat eating appendix